Friday 1 April 2011

Addiction

Yesterday, I started a new case study in my AS Psychology course. The case study is about people addicted to gambling. As part of the background information, we had to learn the definition of and addiction, and its components. I have heard people say that anorexia is an addiction before, but i never understood that until now.

Addiction: A behavioral pattern characterised by compulsion, loss of control and continued repetition of a behavior or activity in spite of adverse consequences.

It fits perfectly. It is a behavioral pattern. The compulsion is not to eat. I have completely lost control (dispite thinking i had ultimate control), and even though i may not be able to have children, my hair is falling out, my heart and bones may be weak and i look horrible i still cannot break it.

Components:

Salience: Food is the most important thing to me, and it is always on my mind. (e.g. watching cookery shows, reading recipies etc.)
Euphoria: When i do eat alot of food (i.e. going out for a meal and being forced too eat lots, maybe even a pudding). I do get a rush of energy. At the same time, if i decline food dispite wanting it, i also get a rush - a sense of achievement.
Tolerance: This component does not fit aswell, exept that i became able to resist food more and more.
Conflict: I think this one fits best. I often engage in conflicts with family members and cause social misery. Moreover, i am also in constant conflict with myself.
Withdrawl Symptons: When a ritual or rule is broken, i become very distressed and shake or cry or rock.
Relapse: This one is quite scary, we learned that even if people shake their addictive behavior, it is easy to fall back. And it is true, many anorexics do relapse.

This is what we learned about addiction, and it can all be applied to anorexia in my opinion.

Sophie x

No comments:

Post a Comment